[Gllug] need some optimisation and security help

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:51:28 UTC 2010

On 11 February 2010 08:25, Sean Burlington <sean at practicalweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I'm working on a contract as a PHP developer (one of two)
>
> Unfortunately the server setup is falling to the developers and while
> we could probably do it neither of us is claiming be be experts and
> the site has seen quite a bit of traffic (though this peaked at launch
> and is falling)
>
> I'm guessing it's just a few days work - with maybe a little bit of
> ongoing consultancy - and possibly hosting.
>
> I'm not in a position to hire anyone - but it's in my interest to get
> someone good in so I'm looking for good people to put forward to
> management.
>
> A little about our setup.
>
> We have 4 Ubuntu web servers (Jaunty) load balanced with one server
> running mysql (Also Ubuntu I think)
>
> Each web server is running Apache,  memcache, and varnish
>
> What I think we need:  optimisation, security tightening, a good
> process for keeping the servers synchronised, load monitoring,
> intrusion detection, and maybe a review of hardware choices.
>
> We may be looking for a new hosting solution too as we're not happy
> with the existing one
>
> The client is near Waterloo, it's a Government agency, they expect to
> pay commercial rates - not quite sure what the going rate is for this
> work - but we want someone good. We'll need to meet but can arrange
> remote access to servers.
>
> Drop me an email if you're interested or have any recommendations for
> good people/companies.
>
> (and don't forget that replies go to the list by default)

Hi,

I could help you technically, but unfortunately I do not have the time
as I have a full time job already.
Just a small observation. Retrofitting security after something goes
live is a risky venture as the recommendations from a security expert
might result in the whole architecture needing to be changed.

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk