[Gllug] Linux weather station!

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Feb 21 12:54:46 UTC 2010

On 21/02/10 10:17, Richard Jones wrote:
> I'll second that getting a good iron is important. Also get one with
> a pointed tip, rather than the kind of flat tip you get on cheap
> soldering irons.

A couple of additional tips. Bigger is not necessarily better. For
modern PCB work you don't need a fantastically powerful iron, about 15
or 18 watt will be more than adequate.

When you solder a joing use the iron to heat the work, then touch the
solder to the work. Don't load up the iron with a blob of solder and use
that to make a joint.

Lead-based solder is preferable but you won't find it in Maplin's. You
can buy a perfectly adequate lead-based solder in some of the pound shops.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk