[Gllug] Cheapish NAS.

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 17:03:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Andy Millar <andy at andymillar.co.uk> wrote:

>> It's not - it's the disks that are supposed to be cheap.
>
> In comparison to?

More expensive disks. The idea was that you could use an array of
consumer grade drives, rather than spending a fortune on more reliable
enterprise grade drives. Of course, these days, commercial RAID
solutions continue to use enterprise grade drives, in part because of
the extra reliability, but also (with my cynical hat on[1]), because
of the higher markup on those drives.

Tet

[1] I rarely seem to take it off...

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk