[Gllug] Unicode input

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:19:41 UTC 2010

What's the approved way to enter text with arbitrary unicode code
points into an X11 application these days? Ideally, I'd like a way to
enter RFC1345 mnemonics. At the moment, vim supports this via its
digraphs, and I find myself opening up a vim instance, entering the
appropriate digraph and then cutting and pasting the resulting
character into the application I'm using. Clearly this is suboptimal.
Is there a better way, without requiring that specifical application
to support RFC1345? To me, it seems obvious it's something that the
windowing system should be providing, rather than the application.

Any suggestions?

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk