[Gllug] google earth

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Feb 21 10:32:25 UTC 2010

John Cundy wrote:
> Not being very technical I am looking for help. I have recently
> converted from XP to Ubunto and gnome. I want to get Google earth
> installed, have got as far as having the GoogleEarthLinux.bin file
> downloaded, but do not know how to 'load and run it'. The help and hints
> page on various sites appear confusing.
> I assume there is a relatively simple way of doing this, can anyone
> help.

Hello and welcome John, good call ditching Windows! Did the same myself
about 18 months ago and have never looked back, despite its rough edges,
quirks and annoyances desktop linux is a way more satisfying experience :)

Anyway, as Peter has mentioned it's probably best to use the Google
Earth from the Medibuntu repository.

However it's still useful to know how to run ".bin" files. Basically you
need to set the file's execute permission. In Nautilus right click /
properties / permissions / allow executing file as a program. Once you
have done that you can double click to launch it in Nautilus. Quite
often it's good to run them from the command line instead though, esp if
you are having issues as then you also get to see any command line
output it produces. You do this by popping open a terminal, changing to
the relevant folder and typing the name of the file preceded by a dot
and a forward slash e.g.

cd /home/username/downloads    (or wherever you downloaded it to)
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

Cheers
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk