[Gllug] Linux weather station!

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 19:28:14 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 19:18, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> Any idea on the advisability of running standard Cat5e around outside?
> I've been meaning to extend my house network out to my shed ...

I ran bog standard CAT5e down to the summer house (Glorified shed
built by the previous owners) at the end of my garden, which is about
100ft and works fine.  Buried to avoid UV exposure but just in case it
doesn't last, I also ran cables into the loft and have my wireless
access point up there and can get a good signal at the end of the
garden.

If your shed has got mains supply, it might work out easier just to
use mains-ethernet adapters.

Take care,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk