[Gllug] Cheapish NAS.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Feb 20 13:01:10 UTC 2010

On 18 Feb 2010, Peter Cannon said:

> Take a look at some of the refurbished stuff around, off the top of my head (I'm
> in the trade) you should be able to pick a box up with a rubbish SATA drive
> (40-100GB) for about £70-£80 +VAT. Western Digital (Green) 1TB SATA drives are
> about £67 on ebuyer  (Inc VAT) you could put something nice together for £300 Cost
> you just need to stick a disgusting markup on it :-)

But take care. Cheap boxes often have not just rubbish SATA drives but
rubbish controllers and buses, too, and that really can impair I/O
speeds. I've seen RAID-5 4-disk read speeds rise from 40Mb/s (!) to >200Mb/s
upon replacement of a single crap-as-anything controller chip... (and that
chip itself was an improvement on the previous machine, which managed
an awesome 11Mb/s sustained RAID-5 read rate. Party like it's 1991!)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk