[Gllug] local backup solution

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jan 13 17:52:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:06:07PM +0000, Martin wrote:
> You're talking about network backup. Unfortunately we don't have a LAN
> network set up yet due to some silly network arrangements on the
> business centre part (the building renting offices). We've got two
> network sockets in the wall. I don't even know what kind of network it
> is. I guess it's not possible to create LAN with a network switch, is
> it? What would be the default gateway, etc? There are only two computers
> at the moment. It's not imperative now, but next month I'll have to get
> it sorted and organise LAN for the computers and a network printer.

You can connect two machines back to back with just a cross-over cable
(in fact cross-over cables aren't even required these days unless you
have really old ethernet ports).  You can also buy a switch for a few
pounds, albeit you get what you pay for.

In any case, none of this needs a network at all.  You can just plug a
USB hard disk straight into the computer, format it with a reasonable
filesystem (eg. ext3) and rsync away.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones