[Gllug] Content filtering proxy server

'LesleyB ' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Sun Jan 10 16:58:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:51:29AM +0000, Sarah Lemarié wrote:
> You would probably be best off trying to set up a solution that, on
> their computer, effectively blocks everything except sites you
> *whitelist*, and spend some time finding good online resources for
> them that you are happy for them to see and use.
>
> But even then, there are no guarantees. Earlier comments about keeping
> the computer in a public room where you are around seem very sensible.

Filtering by content rather than url is possible but the only one I know
about is MimeSweeper and that is a commercial business product rather than
something aimed at end users at home.

There are or were schemes like NetNanny, Safe Surf and others -
of use to child friendly and child non-friendly sites alike - but I have no
idea how you as parent would implement a filter based on any of these mechanisms.

Regards

Lesley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk