[Gllug] power usage utility?

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Mon Jan 18 12:41:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:32:33PM +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
>    Is there a way of  finding out how much electricity a server is using
>    without having to power it down and plug in a ampmeter?
>    I need to know how much power each server is using in order to make
>    some cost savings at our data centre,
>    but obviously it would cause some problems if I have to power them down
>    and up again.
>    The servers run on centos 5.x , fedora 4, solaris 5.7, freebsd 6.2.
>    Thanks,
>    Oliver

You could get a clamp based power meter that clips over the cable. I believe
they work buy using the Hall Effect. Here is an example

http://www.fluke.co.uk/comx/show_product.aspx?locale=uken&pid=36919

They are however rather expensive, comparied to a plug in meter, that you
can get from maplins for 15 quid.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk