[Gllug] Multi monitor setup

Paul Rayner paul.rayner at eventrade.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 06:17:41 UTC 2010

>I am running Debian and I am trying to get to use both my monitors
>connected to my ati graphics card to display different data rather than
>a mirror which is what I currently get.
>
>If it makes any difference I am using fluxbox as my window manager and
>the free ati drivers from debian not fglrx.

I had similar issues getting multiple monitors working with the free ati
drivers (and also tried the non-free ones). As of now, I log in with
mirrored screens, and run:

xrandr --output VGA-0 --right-of DVI-0 --output DVI-0

which gives me the dual screen setup I want. I fiddled with my system a
lot before getting it to work, so I am not sure that this is the entire
solution (it's my personal machine, running FC12 and in my frustration
to get it working I didn't document exactly what I did).

>How should I achieve this, at the moment I dont have an Xorg.conf it is
>autogenerated at runtime.

I don't have an Xorg.conf either.

Hope that helps,

Regards,