[Gllug] local backup solution

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:00:02 UTC 2010

2010/1/13 Martin <mherda at gmail.com>:

> You're talking about network backup. Unfortunately we don't have a LAN
> network set up yet due to some silly network arrangements on the
> business centre part (the building renting offices). We've got two
> network sockets in the wall. I don't even know what kind of network it
> is. I guess it's not possible to create LAN with a network switch,

Well, yes. but I think by 'LAN' you mean more than the network for
passing packets here - you mean a LAN with server(s) such as a name
server, maybe DHCP and mail and a proxy or firewall to the internet.

 is
> it? What would be the default gateway, etc?
Default method for a small LAN is to choose one of the 'private' network ranges.
Choose 192.168.1.XXX with a netmask of 255.255.255.0
Your gateway is 192.168.1.254
Oh, and remember to curse me in a couple of years time when you have
more than 255 computers!
(Yeah, I KNOW  - CIDR, 10. and 172 ranges exist too.
and hell, I;ve even lived on the bleeding edge and built supercomputer
clusters with 192.168 and a 16-bit netmask)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk