[Gllug] power usage utility?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:35:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Oliver Howe <ojhowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way of  finding out how much electricity a server is using
> without having to power it down and plug in a ampmeter?
>
> I need to know how much power each server is using in order to make some
> cost savings at our data centre,
> but obviously it would cause some problems if I have to power them down and
> up again.
>
> The servers run on centos 5.x , fedora 4, solaris 5.7, freebsd 6.2.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

I know this has nothing to do with the answer you need, but this
exercise is uncovering a major problem with your infrastructure.

You should address the lack of redundancy and maintainability of your
servers first before worrying about power consumption and
rationalization of server resources.

Once that is done measuring power usage become trivial using the
cheapest device mentioned on the discussion.

If you really can't unplug your servers, then just use the
manufacturer values provided for your equipment. That is better than
nothing.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk