[Gllug] starting in IT

Martin mherda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:08:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've got a job unrelated to IT. I'm starting a freelance job helping
somebody with IT in his newly opened office in London. I'll set up the
computers/network in the office. Configure Ubuntu, etc. and troubleshoot
any problems when needed. It means that it's not going to be a very
time-consuming. The office is small. There are only 2 computers. We
don't run any server - for the time being the website is hosted by a
third party. I also administer the website.

Now my question is as to what I should do in terms of my legal status.
Shall I become self-employed or what's the best option in such a situation?

As I have never worked in IT, I don't know how to charge for my services.

- how to charge for the website (there won't be many changes per month)
- how to charge for my support in the office. Initially I'll probably
spend a few days to make sure everything is working, but then I might
not be needed for a month.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom

regards
Martin