[Gllug] Talking of backups, cygwin/rsync

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jan 13 23:28:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:56:13PM +0000, Ken wrote:
> scp -r complains about the space (20h) characters in the directory
> names. Escaping those gets scp to run. But rsync still gets in a mess
> over them. The cygwin rsync is v3.0.6 and the Linux (Centos) target
> machine has rsync 2.6.8

However you are generating the list of directories/files to archive, try
putting them into a file so that there's one path per line, with each
line terminated by a null character ('\0') and run rsync with the -from0
parameter (and with --files-from pointing to the file).  That should
make it do the right thing with spaces.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick