[Gllug] printer shops

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 15:50:45 UTC 2010

On Monday, 11 Jan 2010, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>>Wait, keeling over in middle age due to abusing one's body isn't an
>>untimely death? Or perhaps a death is "timely" after one attains
>>the age of 36?
>It's not as untimely as dying in a car crash. There's two senses of
>"untimely",

I fear Peter is going to be happy to take this semantic quibble
anywhere he can to avoid the point. Of course, a more cogent objection
(which I mention and he carefully snipped) is that motor vehicles are
hardly unrepresented in causes of death amongst people <15 and >35 and
that hence, while a heart attack at 36 may reasonably called
"untimely" even if it was entirely forseeable because of eating pies
every day (and, ahem, driving everywhere and never getting any
exercise), _overall_ vehicles are pretty much top of the heap,
depending on what you think of as "untimely" and how you divide up the
other bits of the pie chart.

Hence (which is where we came in) the folks arguing for automated
driving could reasonably argue that the existing safety arrangements
are woefully inadequate.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Today is Second Teleute, January.