[Gllug] synchronising backups

TM tm at tm.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 13 12:52:06 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Could you please recommend a tool to synchronise backups?

This is my set up:
- 2 x dual boot laptops
- 1 x portable external hard drive, which I carry around all the time
- 2 x external hard drives, serving as 'the master backup' at home

- I have formatted all external hard drives with NTFS (FAT is no good
because some work file names are too long for it; Linux supports NTFS
better than Windows supports ext3/4).

I use the portable hard drive to backup the laptop I daily carry to
work. I use Unison for this task (Windows & Linux).

I would like to come home and synchronise the portable hard drive with
the 2 external hard drives at home.

The external hard drives at home are larger than the portable hard drive
so that other members of the family can use also them as their 'master
backup'. So, I would be synchronising the whole portable hard drive with
my folder on the home hard drives.

Finally, I would like to find a tool with ports for Linux and Windows.

Thanks
TM
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk