[Gllug] LyX/TeX question

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 1 00:19:34 UTC 2010

On 29 Dec 2009, Richard Jones uttered the following:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 09:28:05AM -0000, Walter Stanish wrote:
>> > I need to draw things such as finite automata, logic gates, boolean
>> > equations etc
>>
>> For finite automata and logic gates, consider graphviz.  (My second
>> recommendation would be Dia, though that's already been suggested.)
>>
>> Graphviz is *really* great!  Basically you define a simple text file
>> called a 'DOT file' with nodes and their relationships / labels /
>> properties.  Graphviz ties them all together and outputs SVG/PNG/EPS/
>> HTML image maps (eg: if you want clickable components)...
>
> Graphviz is great, but I don't think I'd want to use it for drawing
> anything that wasn't a mathematical graph.

I've drawn ERDs with it before, simply because stating things in text
form is so much less hellish than using some bloody GUI to do it. But,
no, it's not well-suited: you have to do lots of constraint work to stop
its layout algorithms putting nodes in strange places.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk