[Gllug] Hibernation with less swap space than memory?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jul 17 16:36:02 UTC 2010

On 17 Jul 2010, Richard Jones said:

> When you say "code in RAM", note that "code" is usually backed by the
> original executable file, and is the easiest thing to get kicked out
> when memory gets tight.  It's not even swapped.  It's just deleted
> entirely and reloaded on demand from the backing file.  What you have
> to worry about are anonymous memory allocations with no file backing,
> such as heap allocations in C programs.

The kernel sometimes does some of these as well. KMS, for instance, will
often have to make very large allocations (textures et al), and will
have to dump those out at hibernation time: I sometimes see in excess of
500Mb of these, and as video cards get even more overspecced I expect
they'll only grow. Of course if your hibernation mechanism supports
compression (*waves in the general direction of Nigel Cunningham*) they
will probably compress exceedingly well.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk