[Gllug] Any central technicians / consultants on here?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Jul 15 00:03:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

Does anyone on here offer callout *nix + PC hardware support in central
London?

I do callout support myself, primarily for desktop Windows however I
have one client running *nix at the moment (a small Freenas/BSD file
server) and as I'm going to be out of town for several weeks over August
and September I want to make sure they have somebody to call should
something go wrong while I'm away. In the wider context I also want to
do more *nix installs in the future and would like to assure potential
clients that support would be available even if I were hit by a bus!

I found http://www.unixconsulting.info/ on the BSD site but, given the
grammar and frankly ropey website I'm already far from confident in
their service! All the other companies I turned up don't seem to do
onsite calls. Given my lack of success so far I figured I'd ask on here
before settling in for another tedious round of Googling!

For my immediate needs you wouldn't have to be a full time *nix support
person or any kind of guru, you would just have to have the ability to...

a) Rebuild a RAID 0 array should one disk fail (spare disks available)
b) Diagnose and replace a failed component (memory/mobo etc)
c) Make it down to Shoreditch at a few hours notice should an emergency
arise (no guarantee/SLA required, just a general potential availability)

If that sounds like you and such (potential!) work would interest you
please PM me with your contact number, hourly rates & any callout
charges or conditions you have. Also, if anyone knows of a good website
where I can find local *nix freelancers / consultancies I'd appreciate a
link.

Many thanks,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk