[Gllug] Body lotion

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Jul 21 01:09:17 UTC 2010

On 20/07/10 16:20, Richard Jones wrote:
> I can now report that body lotion is an adequate short term
> replacement for thermal grease.
>
> At least, it's kept the CPU temp<  85C for the past 4 hours or so ...
>
> (Amazon will be delivering real thermal paste tomorrow)
>
> Rich.

P4 then is it? ;)  Shouldn't be a problem if it is and it's only
temporary, Intels tend to shut down rather than fry even if you yank the
heatsink and fan off completely. AMD on the other hand tend to die
permanently within seconds if denied proper cooling*. If you've got one
of them I'd keep a very close eye on your sensors til you can regrease
with something better than toiletries!

Roger.

* Traditionally at least - literally smoke would come off them! Maybe
they have improved things in the last few years but I guess very few
people would care to try it on their own modern AMD!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk