[Gllug] Problem with encrypted Debian root.

Andrew Back andrew at osmosoft.com
Thu Jul 15 15:29:23 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've just completed a Debian install with encrypted root, following:

http://smcv.pseudorandom.co.uk/2008/09/cryptroot/

When I choose the default grub entry:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686 Default
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/mosschops-root ro
initrd          /initrd.img

It hangs with "waiting for root", rather than prompting me for a passphrase.

However, when I pick the entry which specifies the kernel version:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/mapper/mosschops-root ro
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686

It prompts me for a passphrase and boots as expected. I only have one
kernel version installed, and this and the corresponding initrd.img
are versioned and in /boot (not root as the above entry, which works,
suggests), and with vmlinuz and initrd.img links in /.

I suspect the answer is something fairly obvious, but am currently at
a loss as to what it might be. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back