[Gllug] Virsh Console with KVM

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Jul 22 16:35:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 05:30:21PM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> When I connect to the host and run virsh console for the guest I've
> >> thus configured, I get mixed results:
> >>
> >> 1) Sometimes I can type a few characters, and then the console becomes
> >> unresponsive
> >> 2) Sometimes the console is entirely unresponsive
> >> 3) Once or twice it seems to 'just work'.
> >
> > You don't mention at which point this happens.  Do you see the
> > normal kernel + sysv init boot messages OK ? ie does the problem
> > only start once the 'getty' is running. if so then try agetty
> > instead of getty
>
> If I reboot the guest, I don't see anything until the login screen -
> so I don't see any boot messages,

It sounds rather like your kernel isn't getting the console=ttyS0 line
from grub, or do you have 'quiet' set which hides them all.

> It seems to be that if I am on the console, and then someone else
> tries to join the console, we both get stuck.  Is there a way around
> this?

Not directly, the console on the host side is a psuedo tty (/dev/pts/NN)
Only one process can interact with the TTY at a time. virsh should really
be locking it after we open it..

Daniel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk