[Gllug] Body lotion

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Jul 22 17:25:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:04:31AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2010, Richard Jones uttered the following:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:50:11AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> >> <85C? How much < is the question, given that 85C is terribly close
> >> to the emergency thermal cutout temperature of many CPUs...
> >
> > This box has serious thermal issues, particularly now the weather is
> > warm.  It was shutting down (hard) under any sort of load.  I only
> > just started to look into why exactly this is happening and it seems
> > to be because the thermal paste was either badly applied originally or
> > has just dried out.
>
> It disturbs me more than slightly to learn that the stuff *can* dry out.
> How long does it take? Do I need to worry about losing my machines to
> a hardware failure I can't fix in five years or something?

Well ... I'm not claiming that necessarily.  The machine is around 3
years old, _and_ it's one of the pre-release development boxes that
both Intel and AMD (in this specific case) give to Red Hat from time
to time, so draw your own conclusions.

> It sounds like your real problem was lack of airflow, then...

Airflow?  Nah, that's fine ...

http://annexia.org/tmp/fan.jpg

Rich.

--