[Gllug] Virsh Console with KVM

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:43:43 UTC 2010

I seem to recall a high degree of expertise concerning libvirt and kvm
on this list.  I wonder if I could have a spot of help?

I'm trying to get virsh console to work with KVM, so I can have fast
console access to my kvm guests.

I'm using Debian Squeeze hosts and Debian Squeeze and Lenny guests.

On the guest:

In /etc/inittab I've added:

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

ttyS0 is in /etc/securetty

I've added:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8 quiet"

to /etc/default/grub

And i've updated grub

On the host:

When I connect to the host and run virsh console for the guest I've
thus configured, I get mixed results:

1) Sometimes I can type a few characters, and then the console becomes
unresponsive
2) Sometimes the console is entirely unresponsive
3) Once or twice it seems to 'just work'.

In all cases, I seem to be unable to escape with ^]

I'm wondering if I've missed something here, or if my config can be improved?

Advice?

S.

PS One thing that occurs to me that may be relevant is that I am
typically within screen session on my workstation when I connect to
the host and issue the virsh commands.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director