[Gllug] Body lotion

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jul 21 10:42:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:50:11AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2010, Richard Jones stated:
>
> > At least, it's kept the CPU temp < 85C for the past 4 hours or so ...
>
> <85C? How much < is the question, given that 85C is terribly close
> to the emergency thermal cutout temperature of many CPUs...

This box has serious thermal issues, particularly now the weather is
warm.  It was shutting down (hard) under any sort of load.  I only
just started to look into why exactly this is happening and it seems
to be because the thermal paste was either badly applied originally or
has just dried out.

Without the body lotion / paste, the CPUs were running at 90C
normally, up to 101C (the automatic shut off point) once there was any
significant load.

With the body lotion *and* an extra case fan that I've moved from its
normal location so it's blowing over both CPUs, things are much
better:

temp1:       +59.0
temp2:       +69.0

(The case fan is blowing more over CPU0 ("temp1") which is why that
one is a bit cooler).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones