[Gllug] iPhone 4 or Android phone

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jul 16 21:05:14 UTC 2010

On 16 Jul 2010, general told this:

> On 16/07/10 11:16, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>
>> There is a way round the noise caused by smartphone CPUs, and that is
>> by moving them to a new CPU technology called async clocking instead
>> of sync clocking.
>> Async clocked CPU are somewhat expensive at the moment, but hopefully
>> soon this will improve.
>
> Interesting then that my 8 year old P4 motherboard supports it ;) When I

I think that's spread-spectrum clocking, making the clock signal very
slightly irregular (roughly). It is an RF noise reduction technique, but
quite different from async clocking, in which there is no single clock
signal per se at all.

IIRC people aren't pouring money into async clocking because of radio
noise, but because it would let CPUs run much closer to full utilization
all the time. However it's bastard hard.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk