[Gllug] Less disk/filesystem issues with Linux compared with OS X

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 02:47:31 UTC 2010

I've been using Linux (Fedora & Ubuntu) along with Mac OS X for many years now but in my experience although the initial configuration of Linux may take longer than getting a Mac system up and running there are many more filesystem/catalog/disk issues with OS X than with Linux. I'm not sure why, given that OS X is based on FreeBSD/Mach but that's been my experience. In the long run I find Linux systems have a better claim to the slogan "It just works". I've never once had to "fix permissions" on a Linux system as I assume that unless I mess with something the system will retain its original, correct file permissions. Not so with OS X. I just had to restore my main OS X disk from a Time Machine backup after an upgrade to 10.6.4 left me with an "invalid sibling link error" which Disk Utility couldn't handle.

Maybe I just haven't been using Linux long enough or doing enough heavy lifting with it? :-)

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk