[Gllug] Picking a linux distro

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Mon Jun 21 15:12:54 UTC 2010

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I have an old laptop with 256 MB memory and a pentium III that I am
> tinking of using for some kernel development (testing some ideas on
> handling low memory) - I'd like a disto that makes it easy to use a
> custom 2.6 kernel and will not fall over wit that level of memory unless
> I want it to.
>
> Any recommendations?

For your stated use definitely give slackware a go.

You get all the normal dev tools and you will have everything you need
for kernel hacking. Also very easy to roll custom kernels

CAVEAT!

Do not expect any gee-whizz-bang graphical tools. This can be a
seriously minimal distro where YOU tell the computer what to do rather
than the other way around

Good luck

Iain

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk