[Gllug] help with Ubuntu 9.10

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 16:31:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:33:47PM +0100, david wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have installed root - which works fine. My problem is as follows:
>
> When I run update manager Synaptic Package Manager I get the following
> error:
>
> "Extract templates from packes: 100%
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
> syntax error: unknown user 'amavis' in statoverride file
> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
>
> My solutions have been:
>
> (1) I've tried Edit - Fix broken packages - failed
> (2) from the command line apt-get -f install
>
> I do not know what to do next. I've looked throu various Ubuntu manuals
> I have but have yet to come up with a solution.
>
> I can't install or upgrade any packages at this time.

A quick google search for "syntax error: unknown user 'amavis' in
statoverride file" shows that the amavis packages do not clean up
after themselves very well when uninstalled.

1) Check if you have any amavis packages installed:
	dpkg --get-selections | grep amavis

   If you do have amavis or amavis-ng or amavis-new isntall then you
   should reinstall them to recreate the user. Eg:
	apt-get install --reistall amavis-new

2) If you don't have them installed then check if they have left
   any entries in the statoverride file:
	grep amavis /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride

3) If there are entries in there then take a backup of that file
   and use a text editor as root to remove those amavis lines.
   Then try running your package management tool again.