[Gllug] [OT] Summer and DSL etc

Mick Farmer mick at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 11:24:25 UTC 2010

Dear GLLUGers,

As a precaution, have two simple phones that you can plug
into BT's master socket.  There's always a chance that one
might be faulty.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to Plusnet Extra
(ADSL2+).  My old Plusnet setup was fine, so I kept
everything else the same.  After a couple of days I'd lose
the line every few minutes.  Plusnet called in BT and they
said the line was fine.  Eventuallly, I swapped my existing
Netgear router for the free Thompson Gateway router and it
has worked fine ever since.

In fact, my raw download speed has gone up from 5,000 kbps
under the old setup to 10,500 kbps at present, and still
rising!

I would also advise buying a Solwise Faceplate Splitter for
fitting over the BT master socket.  This puts the filter
less than in inch from the master socket, thereby keeping
any interference to a minimum.  It also means that the other
phone sockets in the house are just POTS.

Regards,

Mick               /"\
                   \ /
Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk