[Gllug] Anyone used a mobile phone "signal booster"?

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Fri Jun 18 16:17:54 UTC 2010

On 18/06/2010 15:32, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 20:19 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> Vodaphone are flogging this one for 50 quid + a monthly fee (not an
>> endorsement, just the first one that pops up in Google):

>> Anyone used these?  Do they work?  _How_ do they work?  Are they
>> network agnostic?
>
> They work by routing your calls over the internet and not over the
> mobile providers network however you are still charged as though you
> called over the mobile network plus you are paying for the broadband
> connection too.
>
> It's a great wheeze for the mobile network as it's a zero cost option
> for them while you still pay the mobile calls premium.

Jason is of course quite right. However, we are using them at two sites
where mobile communications are otherwise impossible and they do work.
Crashes quite often, though... got one down at the moment because of
'network reconfiguration' (this is on Vodafone, we got them free).

--
Stabilys Ltd
www.stabilys.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk