[Gllug] ACTA coming to New Zealand

David L Neil gllug at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 03:37:16 UTC 2010

For those who are interested in the under-the-covers shenanigans of the
'IP industry':

Greetings from one of the 'greater' parts of Greater London!

New Zealanders are not great fans of American imperialism and seem to
have found themselves in the fore-front of this issue, not least because
of the government's insistence on concepts such as 'innocent until
proven guilty'...

"NZ Doing Good in ACTA Negotiation
March 1, 2010 – 1:15 pm

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is an agreement between
countries around IP rights and enforcement. The negotiations have been
happening in secret, with every country saying "well, we'd love to
reveal what we're talking about but those other countries just won't let
us". Fortunately there have been leaks, and the latest is a fascinating
glimpse at how these things are put together and where the parties stand.

It seems bizarre at first, but the draft is laid out like a spreadsheet:
one article per row and with three columns, one each for the US/Japan
version, the EU version, and comments. Inside each sentence square
brackets mark the attributed proposed alternatives for language. From
this we can tell some very interesting things about the New Zealand
position:"
http://nathan.torkington.com/blog/2010/03/01/nz-acta-negotiation/

(Nat will be well-known to members of the Perl community)

and:

"InternetNZ to take public message to ACTA negotiators

Media Release - 2 March 2010 - InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc)
will assist the public in voicing its concerns about the controversial
international Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) through an open
conference to be held next month in Wellington, New Zealand.

"We're going to give the public the chance to have their say - in
contrast to the secrecy of the negotiation process," says Jordan Carter,
InternetNZ Policy Director.

PublicACTA will be held on Saturday, 10 April 2010, two days ahead of
Round 8 of the ACTA negotiations on 12-16 April in Wellington. The
outputs of PublicACTA will be provided to the New Zealand government
negotiators."

http://www.internetnz.net.nz/media/media-releases-2010/internetnz-to-take-public-message-to-acta-negotiators

Regards,
=dn

PS hope you'll support this week's meeting, especially to encourage the
organisers and speakers - the first for some time!
(do as I say, not as I do! Hereby apologies tendered)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk