[Gllug] Flash 10 on amd64

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 27 13:56:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Adrian McMenamin
<adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
> OK, I know I walking into a pit of hell by asking for advice on a piece
> of proprietary software ... but to continue the saga of the new computer
> I built for my daughters.
>
> I installed an amd64 kernel - from Ubuntu 9.10 and all now works
> swimmingly except Flash - which is important for them in terms of games
> etc
>
> Flash browser plugin seems randomly unresponsive to mouse clicks. This
> is a known problem but there seems to an infinite number of this
> works/no it doesn't solutions posted on the internet and so I thought
> I'd ask for quality advice from the list - and have put on the flame
> retardant underpants.
>
> I am using the non-free plugin - I have read that the free plugins are
> worse. Is that true?
>
> Anyone found a reliable work around

I think I did, I  just cut and pasted, so I really don't understand
the rationale of what is going on, but it worked for me:

In the directory /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux

rename npviewer.bin to npviewer.bin.real

and then create an script called npviewer.bin that contains the following:
----
#!/bin/sh
GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin.real $*
----

that seems to tell the binary to behave in the right way.

Hope this helps.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk