[Gllug] [OT] Disk Encryption

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:36:45 UTC 2010

On 3 March 2010 16:26, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of Macbooks which contain commercially sensitive
> information, and which are sometimes taken off site.
>
> I've been asked to provide disk-based encryption to protect the data
> in the event of loss or theft.
>
> Have any of you done this before?  I'm currently looking at:
>
> * http://www.pgp.com/products/wholediskencryption/
> * FileVault
> * Knox
>
> Anything else I should look at?  Any success or war stories to share?

The company I work for have tried:
becrypt disk protect  (http://www.becrypt.com)
pgp whole disk encryption.

Of those two, pgp came out preferred as it can me managed centrally
better than becrypt.
There are central enterprise tools for pgp that lets one do installs
on one's entire user base from a central location.
For example, they rolled out pgp to 10000 users in my company without
the users having to do anything themselves.
But, if you do not need too much central management, another one to
look at would be Truecrypt and luks.

Whole disk encryption is very much preferred over individual folder or
virtual disk encryption.
Please note that whole disk encryption only provides protection if the
PC is stolen while powered off.
So, very useful for the "left in a taxi" or "left on a train" scenarios!!!

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk