[Gllug] Partition a 2 TB drive for storing films

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 6 20:37:45 UTC 2010

On 6 Mar 2010, John Winters verbalised:

> Nix wrote:
>> Even if you use -T largefile4, you will curse the day you chose to use ext3
>> the day it fscks for the first time. Natively-created ext4 filesystems
>> are much much faster, especially if built with -G 64 or something like that
>> (which also speeds up metadata-heavy writes, but you're not doing that
>> with this fs: still, the effect on fsck speeds is notable).
>
> I have yet to venture into the area of ext4.  I notice my kernel
> (2.6.26) has support but lists it as "experimental".  What kernel do I
> need to go to before I can confidently use ext4?

I started using it in 2.6.30. The only changes since 2.6.30 that I've
noticed are changes to prevent data damage due to lack of journal replay
after an abrupt power loss during a journal wraparound (that was 2.6.32,
a fix to a bug exposed by a change in 2.6.31, but the fix will have been
backported to affected distro kernels), fairly small block allocator
improvements, and changes to fix the ioctl used by the yet-unwritten
ext4 online defragmenter.

Any halfway recent kernel should be fine. The class of bugs that are now
being squashed are terribly rare and hard to trip over. I'd call it
reliable.

(I'm afraid I can't remember much about 2.6.26, it was so long ago.  I'm
astonished that half the systems at work are still running a deformed
RHEL-patched-to-hell 2.6.9!)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk