[Gllug] Is this a RAM error?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 24 00:28:15 UTC 2010

On 22 Mar 2010, Richard Jones uttered the following:

> This is a "machine check error", the output of mcelog.  It's a bit
> confusing.  Can someone confirm that this is a RAM problem?

It claims:

> CPU 3 BANK 3 ADDR 114ea4470
> MCG status:
> MCi status:
> Error enabled
> MCi_ADDR register valid
> MCA: Generic CACHE Level-2 Generic Error
> STATUS 942001080c01010a MCGSTATUS 0

... to be an L2 cache problem.

> CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 15
> No DIMM found for 114ea4470 in SMBIOS

(that's not much of a surprise, these tables are as reliable as anything
else written by BIOS vendors, i.e., utter shit).

IIRC, anyway. I'm really not an expert in this area. Maybe the L2 cache
error is reported for *all* RAM faults for all I know, but unless you
have ECCRAM you're not going to get MCEs for faults in main memory...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk