[Gllug] Partition a 2 TB drive for storing films

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 7 07:34:33 UTC 2010

"Non-Linux machine"?  Sorry, not a phrase I'm familiar with.  :-)

> I regretted making my music drive ext3 when Ubuntu had
> problems with permissions it just didn't have on NTFS.

I'm not sure what you're saying there.  I've never encountered any
*bugs* in ext2/ext3 permission handling in over 15 years of using them.
 Of course, the whole idea of permissions sometimes surprises people.

Ext3 also has the advantage over NTFS that it's stable and documented,
which means that you can if you want use it on either Windows or Mac OS.

Nix has suggested ext4 as an improvement on ext3 and I'm currently
looking into it.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk