[Gllug] recommendations for retailers of OS free or linux > installed desktop boxes?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Mon Mar 1 20:33:34 UTC 2010

John Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 05:36:27PM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Yeah, no OS, it was from "Envisage" via ebay.co.uk
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230406700579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
>>
>> 3 year warranty too!
>>

> That is not a full 3 year warranty:
> "[3] Years 2 and 3 - return to base. Labour is free but any parts
> that are required are chargeable."
>
> No mention of Linux anywhere, so it would be hard to return if you
> find that a component does not working Linux drivers (beyond the
> standard Distance Selling Regulations).
>

> ps. Ebay says "History: 5 sold"

I take your point about the warranty but that's still better than you
get from most retailers. Also you are technically right about returns
too however...

There's not much for linux to be incompatible with in a bare bones
desktop anyway. The onboard graphics are nVidia which I've never had any
trouble with.  I have run Ubuntu live CDs on dozens if not hundreds of
arbitrary machines that come to me for repair and the only thing it ever
struggles with are onboard Intel graphics sometimes, I have never seen
it fail to pickup LAN or audio correctly, even on laptops. Besides, if
there is an issue you can always look at it as an opportunity to file a
bug report and help the community fix it ;)

Roger.

ps: Actually the retailer has the best part of 70,000 transactions &
99.9% positive feedback. The number you're looking at is sales for that
listing only.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk