[Gllug] Port forwarding with IP-tables

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 11:31:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

I wonder if anyone who is proficient with iptables can advise what commands I
need to use to set up the following:

I have a setup currently with a router connected to a Debian box on 192.168.1.2
which is also connected to an internal 192.168.123.0 network.  Occasionally
when the ADSL connection plays up it is necessary to reboot the router remotely.
Currently to do this I have to telnet from home to the main server (on the
internal network), then telnet to the Debian box, then telnet from there to
to the router and then login to the router as 'root' and issue the reboot
command. This works, although is tedious.  But the router immediately drops
the telnet connection and I can't gracefully exit the 'chain' of telnets.

What I would like to do is simply telnet from the main server to the router
by setting up port-forwarding on the Debian box so that, for example,  I
can telnet to say port 4567 on the Debian box which port-forwards to port 23
on 192.168.1.2

Any quick how-to-do guide would be most gratefully received

Tim

This E-Mail (and any files transmitted with it) is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Seacon Terminals Ltd, Company No. 1547396, registered in England and Wales
Registered Office:  Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, England

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk