[Gllug] Small PC, resource constraints, improving efficiencies

David L Neil gllug at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 07:33:15 UTC 2010

Should I trial LXDE and/or XFCE by attempting to run multiple Desktop
Environments/Window Managers at the X level, or by dual-booting whole
distributions with the appropriate choice as the sole GUI?

While I'm traveling around the world I'm using a very old, slow, and
small Thinkpad, mainly for Thunderbird and Firefox* (netbook mode) but
periodically using OpenOffice Writer or Calc, reading PDFs, VNC and SSH
to servers, wired and wireless connections, etc.

It took me quite a bit of time to iron-out the kinks (partly my own
ignorance/learning process) but it now runs a trimmed-back, basic CentOS
5.2 - I tried and failed to persuade the likes of Ubuntu and Fedora to
fire-up as a live system or to load to the hdd. I suspect an issue in
X/Gnome/APCI/mouse (red nipple, stick) lies at the root of things, but
also the several Windows-only h/w components. Likely it is the
conservative (ok, old) nature of CentOS, that facilitates its success...
(please stop laughing at the combination - I 'know' CentOS because I've
been using it, more appropriately, on numbers of machines, elsewhere)
*have thought to try Opera 10 (and maybe its Dragonfly system for
web-dev) and compare load factors with FF...?

XFCE seems to be available from the CentOS?rpmforge repositories but
LXDE is not found by search. I have downloaded Vector Linux's Light Live
edition (and it runs). More recently I have noted that the recent
Knoppix 6.2 release offers an LXDE Lightweight option, similarly.

I'd like to trial and compare the two or three choices until I've been
able to gain confidence in whichever choice (including my existing
CentOS set-up) runs most efficiently...

Would I be better-off learning how to multi-boot a couple of Linux
systems and building two systems side-by-side?
(the online tutorials and the books I've read detail multi-booting Linux
and Windows, but not multiple Linux-es)
- and thus, to use GRUB or advantageous to upgrade to and learn GRUB2?

Alternatively, should I simply load the other DktopEnv/WinMgrs on top of
the existing CentOS X11 (and hopefully rewire things with the Desktop
switcher)?
- but I'm concerned that removal after failure might be messy/risk the
current system-config?

NB because I'm traveling and have limited access to the web, I don't
have many resources to teach myself/learn how to do all this. My web
servers (etc) all run without GUIs, so I'm not scared of the command
line, but I'm no SysAdmin!

Any and all advice, and web refs will be welcomed,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk