[Gllug] Mercurial or Subversion for single user?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 09:17:13 UTC 2010

--------

Matthew King writes:

>If you've already discounted git, then stick with Mercurial. Subversion
>is awful. And before any subversion fans give me grief, Linus says
>Subversion is awful and Linus is God, therefore subversion is awful.
>
>Right?

Yes. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to get off the
fence and make a firm recommendation. Out of those two, Mercurial
is the clear winner.

>Personally I'd go with git though because 1) git is simple, 2) it has a
>nice name, and 3) it's what I know.

There we disagree. I like git. I use git. But I couldn't come close
to calling it simple. It's simple until a merge fails due to conflicts.
And then it's extremely unintuitive, particularly if you're merging
into a dirty tree (which seems to be a common workflow for me).

If you want simple, use darcs[1]

Tet

[1] Which has its own set of problems, but by and large is more
    suitable for a VCS novice.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk