[Gllug] recommendations for retailers of OS free or linux installed desktop boxes?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 16:10:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 07:14:51 -0000, "Paul Rayner" <Paul at pr0.co.uk> wrote:
> I think the mark of a good retailer is a
> good returns system. I've ordered many things from them in the past 10
> years, but once had to send back a new PC because of a fault. Despite
> ordering a system without an OS and installing Fedora on it rather than
> Windows, they agreed to a swap after two minutes on the phone explaining
> the
> fault (the person on the end of the phone knew what Linux was and
> understood
> my description of the fault), and the swap took place the next day free
of
> charge.

I too have had good experiences on that front.  A slightly customised box
which I'd ordered arrived with no CD drive.  (I discovered this after
having connected it up.  I bent down to put the Linux install CD in and
found myself stymied.)

A quick phone call to them and a slightly puzzled lady said, "That's odd.
The invoice specifies a CD drive but the build list doesn't. <pause>  If I
send you one are you OK to put it in yourself?"  I happily agreed, then
took one of the 27 spare CD drives from under my workbench and put that in
instead, adding the new one to the pile when it arrived.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk