[Gllug] Cygwin confusion...

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Mar 27 19:33:01 UTC 2010

John Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 01:16:16PM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> I would use Linux for this job but Linux WILL NOT BOOT with this drive
>> attached where as windows WILL - that's why I'm using windows, the Linux
>> kernel quite literally crashes during the boot process.
>>

> Does "quite literally crashes" mean that a kernel panic happens with
> an error message?

Yep, can't remember the error message exactly but it definitely used the
word "panic" and totally locked up. I want to minimize the hours this
thing spends spun up though so I can't risk playing around trying to get
a linux or BSD system to read it and needlessly power cycling the poor
thing when windows seems quite able to see it.

> On most Ubuntu systems you need to edit the boot
> options to remove "quiet" and "splash" to see all the error messages.
>
> Also have you tried putting the drive into a USB, Firewire, or eSATA
> enclosure and connecting it after the kernel has finished booting?

Not yet actually, I've always got better recovery results from
connecting drives directly (and it's nice to be able to see the SMART
data too) so I haven't tried - good idea though, thanks.

> Here's the cygwin docs on /dev devices and the corresponding
> Windows device names:
> 	http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html

Thanks, clearly I skimmed through that a bit too fast first time! :)

Also found the --output-position=<pos> option in the ddrescue man pages
so I reckon I'm set now.

Cheers,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk