[Gllug] [OT] Hardware problem

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 09:35:22 UTC 2010

On 21 March 2010 22:54, Adrian McMenamin
<adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:

> The bad news is that, having bought a high spec Mobo (Asus P7H55-M Pro)
> for them, it seems unwilling to recognise their old 200G IDE (PATA)
> disk, though it will recognise the DVD drive on the same cable.
>
> Actually, not recognise is not the right word - not see at all is
> better.

Try checking the dip switches on the HD.
Unplug the DVD, and configure the HD to be slave.

It is quite possible that being an old HD, just moving it to the new
machine has caused some damage.
I know a customer who had a server with 5 HDs in it running RAID. They
powered it down to move it to a different room.
When they powered it up again, 4 out of the 5 HDs had failed. They
raised a support call with IBM and the response from IBM is that they
did not believe the customer. Apparently failure of IBM disks was
rare, but failing 4 out of 5 on the same day was so unlikely that they
did not believe the customer. The disks were only 1 month old.
IBM promptly sent an engineer out to the customer for free to investigate.
Only after the engineer confirmed the fault, did IBM finally agree
with the customer.
This was a long time ago now, so I am not taking a swipe at IBM
specifically, it is just an isolated example.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk