[Gllug] Advice on ADSL line attenuation and noise margin

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 11 21:27:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:17:27AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> My brother recently purchased a new master socket with built-in microfilter,
> specifically designed for 'longer distance' connections and saw an immediate
> significant improvement over his previous separate microfilter arrangement.
> So it is quite possible the quality of the microfilters will have an affect
> on these figures as well!  Certainly in my experience microfilters can be a
> significant factor in determining connection quality.

Have you got a reference for that?  I'm assuming it would be something
like the "faceplate splitter" here:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

This house has phone cabling going into just about every room,
presumably from the days before cordless phones.  It's a bit of a
nightmare and I intend to pull most of it out ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat