[Gllug] OT: Replace old model WD Raptor with new within CentOS 4 RAID system?

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 17:23:00 UTC 2010

On 24/05/2010 17:52, Richard Jones wrote:

> I might be missing the point, but what does the firmware in the
> disk have to do with anything?
>
> AFAICS this should just be a straightforward replacement.
>
> Rich.

I thought so too but I rang the disk supplier - Overclockers - and their tech said the difference in seek times could make a hardware RAID5 system unstable/unworkable. I think they might have been giving a summary judgement as they added that they haven't built any such systems themselves.

I'm tempted to proceed with the new WD1500HLFS to make life easier but wondered if anyone else has had experience with RAID5 disks which aren't exactly the same.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk