[Gllug] FTP / network corruption?

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Fri May 28 15:23:22 UTC 2010

Luis M. Cruz wrote:
> On 28 May 2010 14:25, Simon Perry <gllug at si-designs.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Apart from this binary file corruption the machine seems to be fine.
>> What do you think the cause of the corruption is?
>
>   Because both the ftp and http services show the same problem, it
> sounds like some kind of hardware corruption. TCP/IP and ethernet
> checksums are not infallible and sometimes don't detect some types of
> corruption. The problem could be anywhere in the network between
> server and clients. I would try from another computer in the same
> switch the server is (or even connecting a computer directly to the
> server's card if you can afford to disconnect it for a few minutes).
> If you still hit the problem, then it's probably the switch (or the
> server's network card if you skipped the switch too). It it works,
> then you'll have to go through all the other network segments until
> you find the culprit. Good luck!

I tested on the same switch and the corruption still occurs.

Just put another network card in the machine and bingo no corruption -
either on switch or externally.

Looks like the issue is with the Atheros card built into the motherboard.
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8131 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev c0)

Thanks,

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk