[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Fri May 7 10:02:21 UTC 2010

> >[1] The wisdom of writing a book using Word is another matter.  I
> >found it to be almost entirely the worst tool imaginable for this
> >purpose.
>
> Having written one using OpenOffice (not entirely through choice),
> I can assure you I have a very strong contender for that title...
>
> As an aside, I could do a GLLUG talk on typesetting and printing a
> book using free software, if people are interested.

I think the issue is that typesetting with TeX-style command line tools
is too painful for most humans, and the WYSIWYG frontends tend to
be less than 'finished and shiny' and/or provide only a tiny subset of
expected functionality.

Having said that, I am a recent convert to LyX... great though it does
have its issues.

- Walter