[Gllug] Germans are all ISPs

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue May 18 23:53:49 UTC 2010

David L Neil wrote:
> On 19/05/10 10:02, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 23:37, David L Neil wrote:
>>
>>> FYI: Interesting development in Germany regarding one's responsibility
>>> to secure personal WLANs.
>>> Regards,
>>> =dn
>>>
>>> "German court orders wireless passwords for all
>>> Users can be fined if a third party takes advantage of an open connection
>>> By Kirsten Grieshaber
>>> updated 10:55 a.m. ET May 12, 2010
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37107291/ns/technology_and_science-security/
>>>

>> Isn't there a similar law in the UK ?
>> Salsaman.
>>

> There is amongst my clients!
>
> I don't think there is a statute though.
> (but stand ready to learn...)
>
> Regards,
> =dn

It is my understanding that the Digital Economy Bill states that the
subscriber is liable for any and all violations committed using their
account so although security isn't a legal requirement if anyone misuses
your connection you can't expect to have "somebody else did it"
available as a defence.

Disclaimer: not a lawyer, not legal advice, haven't read it thoroughly,
rah, rah, rah

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk